Imagining what education needs to be in 2030, and delivering it now
At DMU, it’s our goal to help every student reach their goal and to ensure you have the best learning experience possible, and we are working hard to introduce a new course structure, known as Education 2030. Students joining certain programmes at DMU Dubai will learn in a focused ‘block’ teaching format where you study one subject at a time instead of several at once. Not only will you have more time to engage with your learning, you will also receive faster feedback through more regular assessment and have a better study-life balance to enjoy other important aspects of university life – meaning your new home at DMU is a supportive and nurturing learning community.
Of course one-size doesn’t fit all, and there will be variations based on the professional requirements of your course. Rest assured you will still benefit from the same excellent experience, supportive environment, and friendships which last well beyond your time on campus – making university your new beginning.
Introduction to block teaching
Dr Natasha Katuta Mwila, Programme Leader for Business Management BA (Hons), provides an overview of Education 2030 - our new student-centred approach to teaching.
What are the benefits of block learning and teaching?
Block learning and teaching benefits include:
- Achieving better outcomes/grades: There is evidence from other universities that this model leads to better grades and student progression due to the focus, care and attention you can give each module.
- Focused learning: It will give you the space to properly focus on and absorb the teaching for each module before moving on to the next.
- Dedicated teacher contact time: Our tutors will be able to be more responsive to individual student needs and more easily identify where you may need additional academic or wellbeing support.
- Regular and faster feedback: Assessment marks and feedback will be returned to you following each block. This means that rather than having to retain knowledge of multiple modules and then revisit them for the summer assessments, you will be assessed more regularly and receive faster feedback.
- A stronger learning community: You’ll be with the same teaching team and group of course mates for each block, so you'll really benefit from a close feeling of belonging. As a result of the focused timetables, you’ll also have fewer barriers to attend all classes and scheduled learning.
- Supports study life balance and wellbeing needs: The focused block approach also allows you to fit your learning and better manage your wellbeing needs around your other life commitments. Block classes and the simpler timetable mean that students have more time for work, social life, caring responsibilities, sport, and everything else that’s important to you.
- More opportunities to develop your skills: The block approach will increase the opportunities available to you to develop wider skills including entrepreneurial, wellbeing and life skills.
How will the student-centered block model work?
Find out how block learning will be delivered and how it will help you take the right steps to graduate success and build the future you deserve.
Block learning on Performing Arts
Our new way of teaching enables students to study one module at a time instead of several at once. Our Performing Arts students and their programme leader explain why block learning works for them.
Block learning for part-time study
Block delivery is a new and convenient way to study as a part-time student that you can fit around your life needs.Read more about part time study